Germany offers a child benefit - Kindergeld - to ensure basic needs are covered while they are less than 18 years old. There are exceptions to the rule (which could decrease or increase this period), but in general it’s until they are 18 years old.

To apply for the benefit, one needs their tax ID. The website to apply to the Kindergeld, is the Federal Employment Agency one.


Germany also offers another child benefit - Kinderkrankengeld - to support parents who have to have to stay at home to look after a sick child.


One of the partners can apply to another child benefit called Elterngeld. This benefit encourage parents to stay at home to look after their children.

To apply to this benefit, the child needs to leave on the same address, the parents have to make combined less than 500.000 EUR/year combined, have permission to live and work in Germany, do not more than 32 hours of paid work per week while receiving the benefit.


In case the child needs special assistance (nursing, caregiving, support or is physically, cognitively or psychologically restricted), they (or their parents) can apply for a financial support.

The request is submitted via the health insurance company, which will forward all the necessary information to the Medical Service (MD). The Medical Service carries out an assessment, including interviews and home visits.

Did you like what you just read? Say thanks with a cup of coffee ☕️